Northern California - Sacramento & Central Valley (PDF Chapter)
This is the Sacramento & Central Valley chapter from Lonely Planet’s Northern Califor-nia guidebook.
The Central Valley is visible from space – a vast expanse of green between the Sierra Neva-da and Pacific Ocean. The area is divided in two parts: the Sacramento Valley in the north and the San Joaquin Valley in the south.
- stroll between breweries in Sacramento, the self-proclaimed mecca of beer
- drive bumper cars, eat fried Twinkies and check out blue-ribbon livestock at the California State Fair
- uncork the region’s emerging fine-wine scene in Lodi
- restaurants & accommodations
Coverage includes: Sacramento Valley, Sacramento, Sacramento–San Joaquin River Delta, Davis, Oroville, Chico, Red Bluff, San Joaquin Valley, Lodi, Stockton, Mod-esto, Merced, Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield, Kern River Area.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.