Northern California - Gold Country (PDF Chapter)
This is the Gold Country chapter from Lonely Planet’s Northern California guide-book.
A ride along Hwy 49 through sleepy hill towns, past clapboard saloons and oak-lined byways is a journey back to the wild ride that was modern California’s founding. Stop for a taste of the helter-skelter era that kick-started the heartbeat of this state.
- witnessing the birthplace of modern California at Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park
- rumbling down the premier single-track bike trails above Downieville
- tasting wines made from grapes grown in the Plymouth hills
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Nevada County & Northern Gold Country, Auburn, Auburn State Recreation Area, Grass Valley, Nevada City, South Yuba River State Park, Malakoff Diggins State Historic Park, North Yuba River, El Dorado & Amador Counties, Coloma-Lotus, Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park, Placerville, Plymouth & Amador City, Sutter Creek, Volcano, Jackson, Calaveras County & South Gold Country, Angels Camp, Murphys, Columbia State Historic Park, and Sonora & Jamestown.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation