Normandy & D-Day Beaches Road Trips - In Flanders Fields (PDF Chapter)
This is the In Flanders Fields Trip chapter from Lonely Planet’s Normandy & D-Day Beaches Road Trips guidebook.
WWI history comes to life in this tour of the battlefields where Allied and German troops endured three years of trench warfare. Stopovers in Lille, Arras and Amiens offer an urban counterpoint.
- see a sobering maze of overgrown trenches, untouched since WWI, at Vimy Ridge
- pick the right route with inspirational images and key trip highlights
- commemorate the WWI dead of both sides on the Ring of Remembrance
- get around easily with colour maps and route directions in easy stages
- visit the region’s best museum of WWI history in Péronne
- discover even more with detours and ways to link your trips
Coverage includes:Lille, Fromelles, Ring of Remembrance, Vimy Ridge, Arras, Newfoundland Memorial, Thiepval, Amiens, Villers-Bretonneux, Péronne, Somme American Cemetery.
You are viewing a Trips Regional guideWhat is a Trips Regional guide?
Want to explore a whole country or large region like California or Europe by car? This is the book for you. Jam-packed with lots of amazing road trips, from two-day escapes to week-long adventures, these guidebooks will ensure you get the most out of every place you drive through.
- Divided into three section: Plan your trip, On the road, Road trip essentials
- Classic Trips – we include the famous drives you simply must do
- Includes unmissable sights and experiences, plus exciting detours
- Recommendations on where to eat and sleep
- Includes a pull-out, full colour map