Nicaragua - Southwestern Nicaragua (PDF Chapter)
This is the Southwestern Nicaragua chapter from Lonely Planet’s Nicaragua guidebook.
Packed with attractions, the southwest offers up some of Nicaragua’s hallmark vistas and ad-ventures. Surfers have been hitting this coastline for years, drawn by perfect, uncrowded waves and laid-back surfing encampments. No trip would be complete without a few days on Isla de Ometepe.
- climb a volcano, kayak the wetlands or swim in a lagoon – or all three – on Isla de Ometepe
- hit the excellent restaurants, bars, pool parties and clubs at San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua’s premier party town
- enjoy the waves, sand and solitude on wild and far-flung Playa Popoyo before grabbing a sunset pizza and beer
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Rivas, San Jorge, Isla de Ometepe, Moyogalpa, Vol-cán Concepción & Around, Altagracia, Playa Santo Domingo & Santa Cruz, Volcán Maderas & Around, Pacific Beaches, Tola & the Tola Beaches, Refugio de Vida Silvestre Río Es-calante-Chacocente, San Juan Del Sur & Around.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation