Nicaragua - Southwestern Nicaragua (PDF Chapter)
This is the Southwestern Nicaragua chapter from Lonely Planet’s Nicaragua guidebook.
Packed with attractions, the southwest offers some of Nicaragua’s hallmark vistas and adventures. Most start in San Juan del Sur, where you’ll find better accommodations, high-octane parties and a solid selection of restaurants catering to international appetites.
- climb a volcano, kayak the wetlands or swim in a lagoon...or all three on Isla de Ometepe
- welcome the thousands of endangered olive ridley and leatherback turtles that lay their eggs at Refugio de Vida Silvestre La Flor
- enjoy sun, sand, and solitude on wild and far-flung beaches like Playa Popoyo
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Rivas, San Jorge, Isla de Ometepe, Moyogalpa, Volcán Concepción & around, Altagracia, Playa Santo Domingo & Santa Cruz, Volcán Maderas & around, Pacific Beaches, Tola & the Tola Beaches, Refugio de Vida Silvestre Río Escalante-Chacocente, San Juan Del Sur, Beaches North of San Juan del Sur, Beaches South of San Juan del Sur.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.