New Zealand's South Island - The West Coast (PDF Chapter)
This is the West Coast chapter from Lonely Planet’s New Zealand’s South Island guidebook.
Nowhere is solitude sweeter than on the West Coast. A few marvels pull big crowds – like Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers, and the magnificent Pancake Rocks – but you’ll need jetboats, helicopter rides and tramping trails to explore its inner realms.
- soar above Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers before a guided walk on glistening ice
- admire salt-licked beaches and the dramatic Pancake Rocks along an unforgettable 100km drive along the Great Coast Road
- gawp at vibrant turquoise waters from a lofty swing bridge in Hokitika Gorge
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Buller Region, Murchison & Buller Gorge, Reefton, Westport & Around, Karamea & Around, The Great Coast Road, Charleston & Around, Punakaiki & Paparoa National Park, Barrytown & Around, Greymouth Region, Greymouth, Blackball, Lake Brunner, Kumara, Westland, Hokitika, Ross, Hari Hari, Whataroa, Okarito, Westland Tai Poutini National Park, Franz Josef Glacier, Fox Glacier, Haast Region, Haast, Jackson Bay & Around.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation