New Zealand's South Island Road Trips - Milford Sound Majesty (PDF Chapter)
This is the Milford Sound Majesty chapter from Lonely Planet’s New Zealand’s South Islands Road Trips guidebook.
Explore two totally different Southern Lakes resorts – thrilling Queenstown and tranquil Te Anau – before following New Zealand’s premier wilderness highway to majestic Milford Sound.
- fuel up with fabulous food and wine in the buzzing city of Queenstown
- pick the right route with inspirational images and key trip highlights
- marvel at the views across Fiordland from crazy Key Summit at The Divide
- get around easily with colour maps and route directions in easy stages
- gasp at the grandeur of Milford Sound and Eglington Valley in all its World Heritage glory
- discover even more with detours, and ways to link your trips
Coverage includes: Queenstown, Devil’s Staircase, Te Anau, Lake Mistletoe, Mackay Creek, Mavora Lakes, Mirror Lakes, Lake Gunn/Cascade Creek, The Divide, Homer Tunnel, Fiordland National Park, Chasm Creek and Milford Sound.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation