New Zealand's South Island - Nelson & Marlborough (PDF Chapter)
This is the Nelson & Marlborough chapter from Lonely Planet’s New Zealand’s South Island guidebook.
For many travellers, Marlborough and Nelson will be their introduction to what South Is-landers refer to as the ‘Mainland’. Having left windy Wellington, and made a white-knuckled crossing of Cook Strait, folk are often surprised to find the sun shining and the temperature 10°C warmer.
- get up close to wildlife, including whale, seals, dolphins and albatrosses at Kaikoura
- nose your way through the wineries of Marlborough
- tramp or bike along the Queen Charlotte Track in the Marlborough Sounds
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Marlborough Region, Picton, Marlborough Sounds, Queen Charlotte Track, Kenepuru & Pelorus Sounds, Blenheim, Kaikoura, Nelson Region, Nel-son, Ruby Coast & Moutere Hills, Motueka, Kaiteriteri, Marahau, Abel Tasman National Park, Golden Bay, Kahurangi National Park, Nelson Lakes National Park.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.