New Zealand's South Island - Fiordland & Southland (PDF Chapter)
This is the Fiordland & Southland chapter from Lonely Planet’s New Zealand’s South Island guidebook.
Fiordland National Park’s mountains, forests and mirror-smooth waters hold visitors in thrall. Framed by kilometre-high cliffs, Milford Sound was clawed away by glaciers over millennia. Leading here is the Milford Hwy, which reveals a magnificent alpine view at every bend.
- be overwhelmed by your first glimpse of the sheer majesty of Mitre Peak rising from the inky waters of Milford Sound
- tramp through the World Heritage wilderness of the Milford Track
- feel the mist from Catlins Waterfalls on road trips through peaceful Owaka and Papatowai
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Fiordland, Te Anau, Milford Hwy, Milford Sound, Manapouri, Doubtful Sound, Central Southland, Tuatapere, Te Waewae & Colac Bays, Riverton, Invercargill, Bluff, The Catlins, Curio Bay & Around, Papatowai & Around, Owaka & Around, Ka-ka Point & Around, Stewart Island (Rakiura).
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.