New Zealand's South Island - Christchuch & Canterbury (PDF Chapter)
This is the Christchurch & Canterbury chapter from Lonely Planet’s New Zealand’s South Island guidebook.
Nowhere in New Zealand is changing and developing as fast as post-quake Christchurch. The scaffolding is coming down, the hospitality scene is flourishing and the central city is once again drawing visitors to its pedestrian-friendly streets.
- experience the dynamic rebuilding and re-emergence of post-earthquake Christchurch
- meander through Christchurch’s beautiful green heart, the Botanic Gardens
- marvel at the otherworldly views of Mackenzie Country and the surreal azure blue of Lake Tekapo from the top of Mt John
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Christchurch & Around, Lyttelton, Banks Peninsula, North Canterbury, Lewis Pass, Hanmer Springs, Waipara Valley, Central Canterbury, Selwyn District, Arthur’s Pass, Methven, Mt Somers, South Canterbury, Timaru, Inland & Mackenzie Country, Aoraki/Mt Cook National Park.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.