New Zealand's North Island - The East Coast (PDF Chapter)
This is the East Coast chapter from Lonely Planet’s New Zealand’s North Island guidebook.
New Zealand is known for its mix of wildly divergent landscapes, but on the East Coast it’s the sociological contours that are most pronounced. There’s a full spectrum of NZ life, from the earthy settlements on the East Cape to Havelock North’s moneyed streets.
- time-warp back to the 1930s, surrounded by art deco, in the mighty charming town of Na-pier
- sniff and sip your way around the local wineries in the Hawke’s Bay Wine Region
- find more fab NZ wine in the wineries around Gisborne
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: East Cape, Pacific Coast Hwy, Gisborne & Around, Te Urewera, Hawke’s Bay, Wairoa & Around, Napier, Hastings & Around, Cape Kidnappers, Central Hawke’s Bay, Kaweka & Ruahine Ranges.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.