New Zealand's North Island - Taupo & the Ruapehu Region (PDF Chapter)
This is the Taupo & the Ruapehu Region chapter from Lonely Planet’s New Zealand’s North Island guidebook.
Welcome to the New Zealand you’ve been waiting for, a picturesque landscape characterised as much by volcanic mountains as it is by bodies of water and native forest. Thrill seekers are in for a treat – the area rivals Queenstown for outdoor escapades.
- see why Tongariro Alpine Crossing is considered the best one-day tramp in New Zea-land
- rediscover the volcanic ‘lost valley’ of Orakei Korako
- bungy jump with a view towards Waikato River at Taupo
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Lake Taupo Region, Taupo, Turangi, Ruapehu Re-gion, Tongariro National Park, Whakapapa Village, National Park Village, Ohakune, Waiouru.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.
New Zealand's North Island - Understand New Zealand's North Island and Survival Guide (PDF Chapter)