New Zealand's North Island - Taranaki & Whanganui (PDF Chapter)
This is the Taranaki & Whanganui chapter from Lonely Planet’s New Zealand’s North Island guidebook.
Taranaki (aka ‘the ‘Naki’) is the Texas of New Zealand: oil and gas stream in from offshore rigs, plumping the region with enviable affluence. New Plymouth is the regional hub, home to excellent art galleries and dining hot spots.
- hike up or around the massive cone of Mt Taranaki
- flex your All Blacks spirit in Palmerston North at the New Zealand Rugby Museum
- ride big breaks along Surf Highway 45
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: New Plymouth & Around, Mt Taranaki & Around, Surf Highway 45, Whanganui, Whanganui National Park, Palmerston North & Around.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.