New Zealand's North Island - Rotorua & the Bay of Plenty (PDF Chapter)
This is the Rotorua & the Bay of Plenty chapter from Lonely Planet’s New Zealand’s North Island guidebook.
Captain Cook named the Bay of Plenty when he cruised past in 1769, and plentiful it re-mains. Blessed with sunshine and sand, the bay stretches from Waihi Beach in the west to Opotiki in the east.
- peer through the sulphurous steam at unique Rotorua, where geothermal activity, M?ori culture and world-class mountain biking come together
- step into the steaming crater of Whakaari (White Island), an active volcano 49km off the coast
- mt Maunganui Lazing at the beach, carving up the surf and hiking up the signature moun-tain, then relaxing in the thermal pools before hitting the lively little strip of restaurants and bars
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Rotorua, Rotorua Lakes, Bay of Plenty, Tauranga, Mt Maunganui, Papamoa, Katikati, Whakatane, Ohope, Opotiki.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.