New Zealand's North Island - Bay of Islands & Northland (PDF Chapter)
This is the Bay of Islands & Northland chapter from Lonely Planet’s New Zealand’s North Island guidebook.
For many New Zealanders, the phrase ‘up north’ conjures up sepia-toned images of family fun in the sun, pohutukawa in bloom and dolphins frolicking in pretty bays. From school play-grounds to work cafeterias, owning a holiday house here is a passport to popularity.
- watch oceans collide while souls depart in Cape Reinga
- pay homage to the ancient kauri giants of numinous Waipoua Forest
- dive at one of New Zealand’s, if not the world’s, top spots – Poor Knights Islands
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Whangarei District, Mangawhai, Waipu & Bream Bay, Whangarei, Whangarei Heads, Tutukaka Coast & the Poor Knights Islands, Bay of Islands, Rus-sell, Paihia, Waitangi & Haruru, Urupukapuka Island, Kerikeri, Kawakawa, The Far North, Matauri & Tauranga Bays, Whangaroa Harbour, Doubtless Bay, Karikari Peninsula, Cape Reinga & Ninety Mile Beach, Kaitaia, Ahipara, Hokianga, Kohukohu, Horeke & Around, Rawene, Opononi & Omapere, Waiotemarama & Waimamaku, Kauri Coast, Waipoua Forest, Trounson Kauri Park, Kai Iwi Lakes, Baylys Beach, Dargaville, Matakohe.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation