New Zealand's North Island - Auckland (PDF Chapter)
This is the Auckland Region chapter from Lonely Planet’s New Zealand's North Island guide-book.
Paris may be the city of love, but Auckland is the city of many lovers, according to its Maori name, Tamaki Makaurau. Those lovers so desired this place that they fought over it for centuries.
- get out on the water and visiting the island sanctuaries dotting the beautiful expanse of the Hauraki Gulf
- explore Auckland’s fascinating volcanic mountains, lakes and islands
- tread the mystical and treacherous black sands of Karekare and Piha
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Auckland, History, Sights, Activities, Tours, Festivals & Events, Sleeping, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Hauraki Gulf Islands, West Auckland, North Auckland.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.