New Zealand - The West Coast (PDF Chapter)
This is the West Coast chapter from Lonely Planet’s New Zealand guidebook.
Nowhere is solitude sweeter than on the West Coast. A few marvels pull big crowds – like Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers, and the magnificent Pancake Rocks – but you’ll need jetboats, helicopter rides and tramping trails to explore its inner realms.
- soar above Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers before a guided walk on glistening ice
- admire salt-licked beaches and the dramatic Pancake Rocks along an unforgettable 100km drive along the Great Coast Road
- gawp at vibrant turquoise waters from a lofty swing bridge in Hokitika Gorge
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Buller Region, Murchison & Buller Gorge, Reefton, Westport & Around, Karamea & Around, The Great Coast Road, Charleston & Around, Punakaiki & Paparoa National Park, Barrytown & Around, Greymouth Region, Greymouth, Blackball, Lake Brunner, Kumara, Westland, Hokitika, Ross, Hari Hari, Whataroa, Okarito, Westland Tai Poutini National Park, Franz Josef Glacier, Fox Glacier, Haast Region, Haast, Jackson Bay & Around.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.