New Zealand's South Island - Fiordland & Southland (PDF Chapter)
This is the Fiordland & Southland chapter from Lonely Planet’s New Zealand’s South Island guidebook.
West is Fiordland National Park, with misty peaks, and glistening lakes and fiords. In Southland’s east, a sharp turn off the beaten track leads through the peaceful Catlins, where waterfalls cascade through lush forest and wildlife congregates around rugged coastline.
- be overwhelmed in Milford Sound by your first glimpse of the sheer majesty of Mitre Peak rising from the inky waters of the fiord
- tramp through Milford Track, a World Heritage wilderness
- soak up sunset and sunrise in glorious surrounds on an overnight cruise through Doubtful Sound
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Fiordland, Te Anau & around, Milford Sound, Manapouri, Doubtful Sound, Central Southland, Tuatapere, Te Waewae & Colac Bays, Riverton, Invercargill, Bluff, The Catlins, Curio Bay & around, Waikawa & around, Papatowai & around, Owaka & around, Kaka Point & around, Stewart Island.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.