New Zealand's South Island - The West Coast (PDF Chapter)
This is the The West Coast chapter from Lonely Planet’s New Zealand’s South Island guidebook.
The West Coast is like nowhere else in New Zealand. Travellers tend to tick off the ‘must see’ sights of Punakaiki and Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers, but sights such as Oparara Basin and Okarito Lagoon will equally amaze.
- explore the Oparara Basin’s limestone forms and forest
- get wet ’n’ wild on the mighty Buller River
- delve into the West Coast’s glittering past at Reefton
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Buller Region, Murchison & Buller Gorge, Reefton, Westport & around, Karamea & around, The Great Coast Road, Westport, Punakaiki & Paparoa National Park, Greymouth Region, Greymouth, Blackball, Lake Brunner, Kumara, Westland, Hokitika, Westland Tai Poutini National Park, Franz Josef Glacier, Fox Glacier, Haast Region, Haast, Haast Pass Highway.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.