New Zealand - Rotorua & the Bay of Plenty (PDF Chapter)
This is the Rotorua & the Bay of Plenty chapter from Lonely Planet’s New Zealand guidebook.
Captain Cook named the Bay of Plenty when he cruised past in 1769, and plentiful it remains. Blessed with sunshine and sand, the bay stretches from Waihi Beach in the west to Opotiki in the east.
- peer through the sulphurous steam at unique Rotorua, where geothermal activity, Maori culture and world-class mountain biking come together
- step into the steaming crater of Whakaari (White Island), an active volcano 49km off the coast
- mt Maunganui Lazing at the beach, carving up the surf and hiking up the signature mountain, then relaxing in the thermal pools before hitting the lively little strip of restaurants and bars
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Rotorua, Rotorua Lakes, Bay of Plenty, Tauranga, Mt Maunganui, Papamoa, Katikati, Whakatane, Ohope, Opotiki.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.