*Cannot be combined with other offers. No code necessary - automatically added at checkout. See terms.
New Zealand's North Island - Taranaki & Whanganui (PDF Chapter)
This is the Taranaki & Whanganui chapter from Lonely Planet’s New Zealand’s North Island guidebook.
Halfway between Auckland and Wellington, Taranaki is the Texas of New Zealand: oil and gas stream in from offshore rigs, plumping the region with affluence. History-rich Whanganui River curls through Whanganui National Park to Whanganui city, a 19th-century river port.
- hike up or around Mt Taranaki’s massive cone
- get experimental at New Plymouth’s dazzling new Len Lye Centre
- flex your All Blacks spirit in Palmerston North at the New Zealand Rugby Museum
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: New Plymouth & around, Mt Taranaki (Egmont National Park) & around, Surf Highway 45, Whanganui, Whanganui National Park, Palmerston North & around.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Limited time only. Join the party and get 2 for 1 on absolutely everything.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.