New Zealand's North Island - Auckland (PDF Chapter)
This is the Auckland chapter from Lonely Planet’s New Zealand’s North Island guidebook.
Whether it’s the ruggedly beautiful west-coast surf beaches, or the glistening Hauraki Gulf with its islands, the water’s never far away. Within an hour’s drive from the city’s high-rise heart, there are dense tracts of rainforest, wineries and wildlife reserves.
- get out on Hauraki Gulf and visit the island sanctuaries dotting this beautiful expanse
- go with the flows on Auckland Volcanic Field, exploring Auckland’s fascinating volcanic mountains, lakes and islands
- tread the mystical and treacherous black sands of Karekare and Piha
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Auckland, History, Sights, Activities, Tours, Festivals & Events, Sleeping, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Hauraki Gulf Islands, Rangitoto & Motutapu Islands, Motuihe Island, Waiheke Island, Rotoroa Island, Tiritiri Matangi Island, Motuora Island, Kawau Island, Great Barrier Island, West Auckland, Titirangi, Waitakere Ranges, Karekare, Piha, Te Henga (Bethells Beach), Kumeu & around, Muriwai Beach, Helensville, North Auckland, Long Bay Regional Park, Shakespear Regional Park, Orewa, Waiwera, Puhoi, Mahurangi & Scandrett Regional Parks, Warkworth, Matakana, Leigh, Pakiri.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.