New Zealand - Fiordland & Southland (PDF Chapter)
This is the Fiordland & Southland chapter from Lonely Planet’s New Zealand guidebook.
Fiordland National Park’s mountains, forests and mirror-smooth waters hold visitors in thrall. Framed by kilometre-high cliffs, Milford Sound was clawed away by glaciers over millennia. Leading here is the Milford Hwy, which reveals a magnificent alpine view at every bend.
- be overwhelmed by your first glimpse of the sheer majesty of Mitre Peak rising from the inky waters of Milford Sound
- tramp through the World Heritage wilderness of the Milford Track
- feel the mist from Catlins Waterfalls on road trips through peaceful Owaka and Papatowai
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Fiordland, Te Anau, Milford Hwy, Milford Sound, Manapouri, Doubtful Sound, Central Southland, Tuatapere, Te Waewae & Colac Bays, Riverton, Invercargill, Bluff, The Catlins, Curio Bay & Around, Papatowai & Around, Owaka & Around, Ka-ka Point & Around, Stewart Island (Rakiura).
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation