New Zealand - Christchuch & Canterbury (PDF Chapter)
This is the Christchurch & Canterbury chapter from Lonely Planet’s New Zealand guidebook.
Nowhere in New Zealand is changing and developing as fast as post-quake Christchurch. The scaffolding is coming down, the hospitality scene is flourishing and the central city is once again drawing visitors to its pedestrian-friendly streets.
- experience the dynamic rebuilding and re-emergence of post-earthquake Christchurch
- meander through Christchurch’s beautiful green heart, the Botanic Gardens
- marvel at the otherworldly views of Mackenzie Country and the surreal azure blue of Lake Tekapo from the top of Mt John
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Christchurch & Around, Lyttelton, Banks Peninsula, North Canterbury, Lewis Pass, Hanmer Springs, Waipara Valley, Central Canterbury, Selwyn District, Arthur’s Pass, Methven, Mt Somers, South Canterbury, Timaru, Inland & Mackenzie Country, Aoraki/Mt Cook National Park.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation