New York & the Mid-Atlantic - West Virginia (PDF Chapter)
This is the West Virginia chapter from Lonely Planet’s New York & the Mid-Atlantic guidebook.
For rugged East Coast adventuring with a gorgeous mountain backdrop, set your car toward wild and wonderful West Virginia. With its line of unbroken green mountains, raging white-water riv-ers and snowcapped ski resorts, this outdoor-lovers’ paradise is one of the prettiest states in the Union.
- tackle the white-water on a rafting adventure on New River Gorge National River
- step into the town’s dramatic Civil War–era past in Harpers Ferry National Historic Park’s well-preserved collection of museums and historic structures
- tour the secret Cold War–era bunker at one of the country’s poshest resorts, The Greenbri-er
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Eastern Panhandle, Harpers Ferry, Shepherdstown, Berkeley Springs, Monongahela National Forest, Canaan Valley, Snowshoe & Pocahontas County, Thomas & Davis, New River & the Greenbrier Valley, New River Gorge National River, Fayetteville, Lewisburg, Charleston.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.