New York & the Mid-Atlantic - Virginia (PDF Chapter)
This is the Virginia chapter from Lonely Planet’s New York & the Mid-Atlantic guidebook.
The Commonwealth of Virginia is steeped in history and tradition. There’s loads for visitors to enjoy, including world-class tourist attractions such as Colonial Williamsburg, a wealth of outdoor activities, a foot-tapping mountain-music scene and an ever-growing network of wine, beer and spirit trails.
- trace America’s roots in the Historic Triangle: Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, and York-town
- cruise along Skyline Drive and hike to the summit of a commanding peak in Shenandoah Na-tional Park
- marvel at Thomas Jefferson’s architectural genius at Charlottesville’s University of Virginia and nearby Monticello
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Northern Virginia, Arlington, Alexandria, Fredericks-burg, The Piedmont, Richmond, Charlottesville, Historic Triangle, Williamsburg, Jamestown, York-town, Hampton Roads, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Shenandoah Valley, Staunton, Lexington, Blue Ridge Highlands & Southwest Virginia, Roanoke, Abingdon.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation