New York & the Mid-Atlantic - New York State (PDF Chapter)
This is the New York State chapter from Lonely Planet’s New York & the Mid-Atlantic guidebook.
Long Island and upstate New York – generally accepted as anywhere north of the NYC metro area – shouldn’t be missed. Long Island has cozy beach towns, while upstate is a dream destina-tion for those who cherish the great outdoors.
- escape to the Catskills’ verdant wilderness on NYC’s doorstep, with cool inns and delicious eats
- explore dense forests and beguiling lakes, plus mountain sports galore, in the Adiron-dacks
- take in post-industrial Buffalo on Lake Erie, packed with incredible architecture and art
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Long Island, South Shore, The Hamptons, Montauk, North Fork & Shelter Island, Catskills, Phoenicia & Mt Tremper, Tannersville, Woodstock, Finger Lakes, Ithaca, Seneca Falls, The Adirondacks, Albany, Lake George, Lake Placid, Lake Ontario & Thousand Islands, St Lawrence River Shore, Western New York, Buffalo, Niagara Falls.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation