New York & the Mid-Atlantic - Maryland (PDF Chapter)
This is the Maryland chapter from Lonely Planet’s New York & the Mid-Atlantic guidebook.
The nickname ‘America in Miniature’ perfectly captures Maryland: this small state possesses all of the best bits of the country, from the Appalachian Mountains in the west to sandy white beaches in the east.
- crack steamed crabs at one of the seafood joints along Chesapeake Bay
- consider art at one of Baltimore’s terrific museums, such as the edgy American Visionary Art Museum
- enjoy the sun and searching for birds on Assateague Island
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Baltimore, Annapolis, Eastern Shore, St Michaels & Tilghman Island, Cambridge, Salisbury, Berlin, Assateague Island, Ocean City, Western Maryland, Frederick, Cumberland, Southern Maryland, Leonardtown & St Mary’s County, Solomons Island & Calvert County.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation