New York & Mid-Atlantic's Best Trips - Washington, DC, Maryland & Delaware Trips (PDF Chapter)
This is the Washington, DC, Maryland & Delaware Trips chapter from Lonely Planet’s New York & the Mid-Atlantic’s Best Trips guidebook.
America is condensed into her capital and the region that surrounds it. Maryland’s unofficial motto for years has been ‘America in Miniature,’ and since Delaware is basically an extension of Maryland, you could say the 42nd- and 49th-largest states in the union encapsulate said Republic..
- drive from Baltimore’s docks to the tiny villages of the Catoctin Mountains on Maryland’s National Historic Road
- pick the right route with inspirational images and key trip highlights
- ferries, bike paths and mountain valleys all line the old C&O canal path
- get around easily with colour maps and route directions in easy stages
- get into seaside towns, miles of marsh and sweaty Chesapeake crab shacks
- discover even more with walking tours, detours and ways to link your trips
Coverage includes: Washington, DC, Baltimore, Patapsco Valley, Skyesville, Mt Airy, Hill & Horse Country, New Market, Frederick, Gathland State Park, Georgetown, Fletcher’s Boat House, Great Falls National Park, Blockhouse Point, White’s Ferry, Brunswick, Paw Paw & Cumberland, Harpers Ferry, Annapolis, Wye Island, Easton, St Michaels & Tilghman Island, Cambridge, Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge, Salisbury, Whitehaven, Crisfield. Accokeek, Indian Head Peninsula, La Plata, St Ignatius & Popes Creek, Budds Creek, Leonardtown, St George’s Island, St Mary’s City, Point Lookout, Solomons Island, Chincoteague Island, Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge, Assateague Island, Berlin, Ocean City, Fenwick Island State Park, Bethany Beach, Delaware Seashore State Park, Dewey & Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge, Snow Hill, Berlin, Laurel, Georgetown, Dover, Dover Air Force Base, Winterthur & the Brandywine Valley, Wilmington.
You are viewing a Trips Regional guideWhat is a Trips Regional guide?
Want to explore a whole country or large region like California or Europe by car? This is the book for you. Jam-packed with lots of amazing road trips, from two-day escapes to week-long adventures, these guidebooks will ensure you get the most out of every place you drive through.
- Divided into three section: Plan your trip, On the road, Road trip essentials
- Classic Trips – we include the famous drives you simply must do
- Includes unmissable sights and experiences, plus exciting detours
- Recommendations on where to eat and sleep
- Includes a pull-out, full colour map