New York & Mid-Atlantic's Best Trips - Virginia Trips (PDF Chapter)
This is Virginia Trips chapter from Lonely Planet’s New York & the Mid-Atlantic’s Best Trips guidebook.
With a western mountain spine, beach-studded ocean coastline, miles of farmland, stately Southern cities, liberal Northeastern-esque suburbs and a political climate that consistently makes it a toss-up in national elections, it’s hard to imagine a state with more diversity than Virginia.
- cross the Commonwealth’s high-altitude spine in the green Shenandoah Valley
- pick the right route with inspirational images and key trip highlights
- drive alongside mountain wilderness and the Appalachian Trail, one of the USA’s great hiking treks
- get around easily with colour maps and route directions in easy stages
- see preserved Civil War battlefields, 19th-century countryside, museums aplenty and Southern small towns
- discover even more with walking tours, detours and ways to link your trips
Coverage includes: Front Royal, Dinosaur Land, Huntly, Skyline Drive, Mathews Arm & Elkwallow, Museum of the Shenandoah Valley, Luray, Skyland, Whiteoak Canyon Area, Hawksbill Area, Byrd Visitors Center, Lewis Mountain, Harpers Ferry, Shepherdstown, Berkeley Springs, Deep Creek Lake, Thomas, Warm Springs, Fayetteville, Mt Rodgers, Antietam, Washington, DC, Manassas National Battlefield, Gettysburg National Military Park, Fredericksburg, Stonewall Jackson Shrine, Cold Harbor Battlefield, Richmond, Petersburg, Appomattox Court House National Historical Park, Roanoke, Smart View Recreational Area, Floyd, Rocky Knob, Mabry Mill, Groundhog Mountain, Blue Ridge Music Center, Fairy Stone State Park, Galax, Abingdon, Dollywood, Hiltons, Bristol, Staunton, Humpback Rocks, Lexington, Natural Bridge, James River & Otter Creek, Peaks of Otter, Bedford, Blacksburg, Smith Mountain Lake, Roanoke, Yorktown, Jamestown, Williamsburg, James River Plantations, Richmond, Charlottesville, Mt Vernon, Northern Neck, Belle Isle State Park, Newport News, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Great Dismal Swamp, Virginia Eastern Shore,