New York City - Harlem & Upper Manhattan (PDF Chapter)
This is the Harlem & Upper Manhattan chapter from Lonely Planet’s New York City guidebook.
The top half of Manhattan is a lot of territory to cover, with numerous points of interest a dis-tance away from one another and no subways to take you across town. So pick a neighborhood and explore.
- explore the fine artistry and hidden treasures inside the gloriously epic yet still-unfinished Cathedral Church of St John the Divine, the largest house of worship in the US
- take a fantastical journey into the Middle Ages at the Cloisters Museum & Gardens, replete with Flemish tapestries and other medieval masterpieces
- catch cutting-edge exhibitions from the Latin American diaspora at El Museo del Barrio in East Harlem
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.