New York City - East Village & the Lower East Side (PDF Chapter)
This is the East Village & the Lower East Side chapter from Lonely Planet’s New York City guidebook.
If you’ve been dreaming of those quintessential New York City moments – graffiti on crimson brick, skyscrapers rising overhead, punks, grannies and financial-industry types walking side by side, cute cafes with rickety tables spilling out onto the sidewalks – then the East Village is your Holy Grail.
- admire the off-white webbing of the boxy facade of the New Museum of Contemporary Art, then wander in to appreciate mind-bending iterations of art across myriad media
- witness the shockingly cramped conditions of early immigrants at the brilliantly curated Lower East Side Tenement Museum
- pass knickknack shops and sake bars on St Marks Place, then head to the neighboring streets for a quieter round of nibbling and boutique-ing.
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout