New Orleans - Faubourg Marigny & Bywater (PDF Chapter)
This is the Faubourg Marigny & Bywater chapter from Lonely Planet’s New Orle-ans guidebook.
Faubourg Marigny sits adjacent to the French Quarter, beginning just after Esplanade Ave. Take in the architecture and sample the local fare at its cafes and restaurants; when night falls, head back to Frenchmen St to either party, listen to music, or both.
- wander around Frenchmen Street at, say, 7pm when the music starts, having dinner, lis-tening to music, dancing a bit, seeing who’s playing on the corner of Chartres, scarfing down some late-night tacos, then listening to more music
- spot container ships from Crescent Park as they meander up the Mississippi
- catch dance, puppetry and all manner of shows at the unique Marigny Opera House, which occupies the grounds of a former church
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.