New Orleans - Day Trips from New Orleans (PDF Chapter)
This is the Day Trips from New Orleans chapter from Lonely Planet’s New Orleans guidebook.
Want to escape the city? This chapter includes the very best excursions from New Orleans and they can all be completed in a day. Must-sees include River Road Plantations and St Fran-cisville.
- graceful antebellum mansions with elaborate gardens dot River Road, with majestic live oaks and clustered slave shanties offering a glimpse into a foreign but not-too-distant past
- in St Francisville antiques, birds and ghost stories, plus a few plantations, make a fine trip. And that’s without mentioning the museum at the 18,000-acre penitentiary in Angola
- join the party - or the fais-do-do (Cajun dance) - in Lafayette and Breaux Bridge, where Cajun dance halls and crawfish boils keep things lively. And the food? It’s serious busi-ness around here
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: River Road Plantations, St Francisville, Lafayette, Breaux Bridge, Cajun Prairie, Down the Bayou.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout