Instock products only. No code necessary. See terms
New England - Understand New England and Survival Guide (PDF Chapter)
was $4.95 USD
All the info you need on everything from history: 400 years of political, philosophical, industrial and technological revolution to flights, public transport, climate, money, the internet... you name it. Get tips for gay and lesbian travellers, travellers with disabilities and travellers with kids.
- a rundown on the regional transformation that is being fueled by new industries, new immigrants and renewed interest in both city and country living
- info on the region’s rich literary tradition that runs the gamut from groundbreaking philosophy to thought-provoking poetry to spine-tingling horror
- full coverage of the hundreds of colleges and universities that provide New England with an annual influx of energy and an ever-active incubator for ideas
- details on outdoor activities, from rolling hills and craggy mountains to sun-dappled lakes and windswept sea coast
Coverage includes: New England Today: East Coast Liberals, Cultural Diversity, Economic Diversity, Rural Renewal and Urban Renewal, History: Culture Clash, Brave New World, Cradle of Liberty, Of Sails & Whales, Industrial Revolution, New England Melting Pot, Reform & Racisim and 20th Century Trends, New England Literature: Colonial Literature, The Golden Age, Banned in Boston and Contemporary Literature, Universities & Colleges: Ivy League, Boston & Cambridge Institutions, Liberal Arts Colleges and Art & Music Schools, Outdoor Activities: Hiking, Cycling, Swimming, Sailing and Skiiing & Snowboarding, Directory A–Z and Transportation.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.