New England - Maine (PDF Chapter)
This is the Maine chapter from Lonely Planet’s New England guidebook.
With more lobsters, lighthouses and charming resort villages than you can shake a selfie stick at, Maine is New England at its most iconic. The sea looms large here, with mile upon mile of jagged sea cliffs, peaceful harbors and pebbly beaches.
- appreciate the impressive collection of American art at Portland Museum of Art
- bag the end point of the 2190-mile-long Appalachian Trail at Mt Katahdin in Baxter State Park
- explore iconic American art at Farnsworth Art Museum in Rockland
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Southern Maine Coast, The Yorks, Ogunquit, The Kennebunks, Saco Bay & Old Orchard Beach, Portland, Midcoast Maine, Brunswick, Boothbay Harbor, Damariscotta, Pemaquid Point, Monhegan Island, Rockland, Camden, Rockport, Belfast, Inland Maine, Bangor, Augusta, Sabbathday Lake & Poland Spring, Down East, Deer Isle & Stonington, Mount Desert Island, Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park, Cranberry Isles, Machias Bay Area, Western Maine, Bethel, Rangeley Lake, North Maine Woods, Baxter State Park, Moose-head Lake.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation