New England Fall Foliage Road Trips - Connecticut River Byway Trip (PDF Chapter)
This is the Connecticut River Byway chapter from Lonely Planet’s guidebook.
This drive links mill towns, white-clapboard villages and colleges as it unfurls beside farms, forests and the Connecticut River, which roars then ripples through New Hampshire and Massachusetts.
- touch the tooth of a mastodon at Montshire Museum of Science
- pick the right route with inspirational images and key trip highlights
- spot the Cat in the Hat in a Springfield sculpture garden
- get around easily with colour maps and route directions in easy stages
- indulge your sweet tooth at the world’s longest candy counter
- discover even more with walking tours, detours, and ways to link your trips
Coverage includes: Littleton, New Hampshire, Montshire Museum of Science, Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site, Fort at No 4, Charleston, Walpole, Montague, Amherst, Northampton, South Hadley, Springfield, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Hartford, Lake Candlewood, Litchfield Hills, Boston,The Berkshires, Vermont, Northeast Kingdom, Stowe Walking Tour and Burlington Walking Tour.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation