New England - Central Massachusetts & The Berkshires (PDF Chapter)
This is the Central Massachusetts & the Berkshires chapter from Lonely Planet’s New England guidebook.
Artfully blending the cultural and cosmopolitan with the rural and rustic, the Pioneer Valley and the Berkshires offer a tantalizing mix of artistic offerings, leafy college towns, verdant hills and sweet farmland.
- listen to the Boston Symphony as you picnic on the lawn at Tanglewood, Lenox’s legendary music festival
- ramble about the USA’s largest contemporary art museum, MASS MoCA
- watch an outdoor performance at one of the top summer dance festivals, at Jacob’s Pillow
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Central Massachusetts, Worcester, Sturbridge, Pioneer Valley, Springfield, Northampton, Amherst, Shelburne Falls, The Berkshires, Great Barrington & Around, Stockbridge, Lee, Lenox, Pittsfield, Williamstown, North Adams, Mt Greylock State Reservation.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.