New England - Around Boston (PDF Chapter)
This is the Around Boston chapter from Lonely Planet’s New England guidebook.
The towns surrounding Boston represent every aspect of New England history: Colonial, revolutionary, maritime, literary and industrial. Inspired by intriguing events of the past and spectacular seascapes in the present, writers, artists and filmmakers continue to enrich the region’s cultural life.
- cycle through history, from Cambridge to Lexington, along the Minuteman Commuter Bikeway
- hit the beaches, admire the art and feast on seafood in Gloucester
- traverse Minute Man National Historic Park and recall the beginnings of American independence
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Lexington, Concord, Lowell, North Shore, Salem, Gloucester, Rockport, Ipswich & Essex, Newburyport, South Shore, Quincy, Plymouth, New Bedford.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation