Nepal - The Terai & Mahabharat Range (PDF Chapter)
This is the Terai & Mahabharat Range chapter from Lonely Planet’s Nepal guidebook.
The south of the country is the very opposite of the Himalayan north: the hot, subtropical plain of the Terai. The Mahabharat Range and Chure Hills stand in the middle, as if mediating between snow-capped peaks and a flat horizon.
- roam through the elephant grass Chitwan National Park in search of tigers and rhinos
- explore one amazing Buddhist temple after another in Lumbini, the Buddha’s very own birthplace
- raft through the extraordinary natural beauty of Bardia National Park looking out for those marsh muggers!
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Central Terai, Narayangarh & Bharatpur, Chitwan Na-tional Park, Siddharthanagar (Bhairawa) & Sunauli, Lumbini, The Siddhartha Highway, Butwal, Tansen (Palpa) & Around, The Tribhuvan Highway, Hetauda, Daman, Western Terai, Nepalganj, Bardia National Park, Sukla Phanta National Park, Bhimdatta (Mahendranagar), Eastern Terai, Birganj, Janakpur, Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve, Biratnagar, Dharan & Around Hile & Around, Ilam & Around, Kakarbhitta.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation