Nepal - Around the Kathmandu Valley (PDF Chapter)
This is the Around the Kathmandu Valley chapter from Lonely Planet’s Nepal guidebook.
Created from the bed of a sacred lake by the deity Manjushri, according to Buddhist legend, the Kathmandu Valley is a patchwork of terraced fields and sacred temple towns that showcase the glory of the architects and artisans of Nepal.
- wander Patan’s courtyards on a walking tour, soaking in the glorious Newari architecture of Durbar Sq and visiting Patan Museum, the best in the country
- explore the fascinating backstreets of Bhaktapur, Nepal’s best preserved medieval city
- have a medieval mini-adventure in the historic city of Panauti, which escaped the earth-quake’s destruction
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Around the Ring Road, Pashupatinath, Chabahil, Bodhnath (Boudha), Kopan, The Northern & Western Valley, Budhanilkantha, Shivapuri Nagar-jun National Park, Patan, Bhaktapur & Around, Suriya Binayak Temple, Thimi, Changu Narayan Temple, The Northeastern Valley, Gokarna Mahadev, Gokarna Forest, Sankhu, The Southern Valley, Kirtipur, Pharping & Around, Bungamati, Khokana, Chapagaon, Godavari, The Valley Fringe, Nagarkot, Dhulikhel, Panauti, Namobuddha, Balthali, Beyond the Valley, Arniko Highway to Tibet, The Road to Langtang.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.