Naples, Pompeii & the Amalfi Coast - Salerno & the Cilento (PDF Chapter)
This is the Salerno & the Cilento chapter from Lonely Planet’s Naples, Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast guidebook.
Salerno may not have the glamour of the Amalfi Coast resorts, but its gritty historic centre offers a great counter to the region’s more high-profile towns. The Cilento region has an undeveloped coastal strip and a little-visited national park.
- visit Paestum and take a journey back to Magna Graecia at one of Europe’s most majestic archaeological sites
- count the multitude of patios, rooms, arches and columns in Certosa di San Lorenzo, the gigantic monastery in Padula
- stroll along Salerno’s tree-lined promenade in Campania’s most authentic southern city
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Salerno, Paestum, Agropoli, Castellabate & around, Acciaroli to Pisciotta, Palinuro & around, Parco Nazionale del Cilento, Vallo di Diano e Alburni.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation