Myanmar - Southeastern Myanmar (PDF Chapter)
This is the Southeastern Myanmar chapter from Lonely Planet’s Myanmar guide-book.
Descend into the Buddha-packed caves around sleepy Hpa-an, ascend the winding road to the sacred golden boulder perched on Mt Kyaiktiyo (Golden Rock), and visit the little-known Myeik Archipelago, perhaps Myanmar’s most dramatic intersection of water, land and sky.
- sail, cruise, snorkel and dive among the 800-odd islands of the Myeik Archipelago
- discover seemingly hidden lakes, hanging Buddhist art and a sparkling spring in the many caves around Hpa-an
- hope for the inspiration that fired Kipling to compose his most famous opening line in his poem 'Mandalay', at Mawlamyine
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Mon State, Mt Kyaiktiyo (Golden Rock), Mawlamyine & Around, Ye, Kayin State, Hpa-an & Around, Myawaddy, Tanintharyi Region, Dawei, Myeik, Myeik (Mergui) Archipelago, Kawthoung.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation