Myanmar - Northern Myanmar (PDF Chapter)
This is the Northern Myanmar chapter from Lonely Planet’s Myanmar guide-book.
Rugged and remote, northern Myanmar offers a fascinating mix of ethnic minority peoples, the prospect of travel through some of the least-visited areas of the country, timeless hill villages, Myanmar's Himalayan peaks and lazy days on the Ayeyarwady River.
- walk into unspoilt Shan and Palaung villages from Hsipaw, a delightful laid-back plateau town with royal connections
- head to Putao in the far north and the Himalaya region, where tough trekking and exhila-rating whitewater rafting are taking off
- cycle around serene Indawgyi Lake and then take a boat to the mystical Shwe Myitsu Paya
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Lashio & Around, Pyin Oo Lwin (Maymyo) & Around, Kyaukme & Around, Hsipaw, Lashio, Mogok, Upper Ayeyarwady, Myitkyina, Indawgyi Lake, Bhamo (Banmaw), Shwegu, Katha, Kyaukmyaung, Shwebo, The Far North, Putao.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation