Myanmar - Bagan & Central Myanmar (PDF Chapter)
This is the Bagan & Central Myanmar chapter from Lonely Planet’s Myanmar guidebook.
Bagan, with its wondrous vista of pagodas and stupas, many dating to the 12th century, is this region's star attraction. In central Myanmar, ox carts amble through rice fields and rolling plains, rimmed by the Shan Mountains and the snaking Ayeyarwady River.
- clamber up the steps to the top of an ancient pagoda for a jaw-dropping view over the tem-ple-studded plain of Bagan
- take a sunset boat ride on the Ayeyarwady River from Old Bagan, enjoying the peaceful rhythms of life along the waterfront
- pay respects to Myanmar’s 37 nat at their spiritual home, the monkey-tastic volcanic moun-taintop temple at Mt Popa
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Yangon–Mandalay Highway, Taungoo (Toungoo), Nay Pyi Taw, Meiktila, Yangon–Bagan Highway, Pyay, Thayekhittaya (Sri Ksetra), Magwe, Bagan & Around, Nyaung U, Old Bagan, Myinkaba, New Bagan (Bagan Myothit), Mt Popa, Salay, Pa-kokku, Monywa & Around.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.