Moscow - Meschansky & Basmanny (PDF Chapter)
This is the Meshchansky & Basmanny chapter from Lonely Planet’s Moscow guidebook.
Covering a large swathe of central Moscow, Meshchansky is markedly laid-back compared with its neighbouring districts. Beyond the Garden Ring, Basmanny is an area of 19th-century red-brick factories, now taken over by innovative postmodern galleries, cool cafes and digital startups.
- contemplate Moscow’s hot contemporary art scene at one of the gentrified old factories, such as Winzavod
- descend 60m underground to explore the Cold War communications centre at Bun-ker-42
- stock up on junk souvenirs and Soviet paraphernalia at Izmaylovsky Market
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout