Moscow - Day Trips from Moscow (PDF Chapter)
This is the Day Trips from Moscow chapter from Lonely Planet’s Moscow guide-book.
Want to escape the city? This chapter includes the very best excursions from Moscow and they can each be completed in a day. Must-sees include Sergiev Posad and Abramtsevo.
- home to the Trinity Monastery of St Sergius, Sergiev Posad’s easy distance from Moscow and historic atmosphere ensure it’s the most visited destination in the Golden Ring
- an artists colony and country estate, Abramtsevo was a font of artistic inspiration during the 19th-century renaissance of traditional Russian painting, sculpture, architecture and arts
- the 12th-century capital of medieval Rus was formative in establishing a distinctively Rus-sian architectural style. Ancient Vladimir still shows off several remarkable structures that date back to its heyday
- dating to the 11th century, Suzdal was a medieval capital and a spiritual centre. The village is still ringed with monasteries and peppered with merchant churches, making for an idyl-lic fairy-tale setting
- the site of turning-point battles in the Napoleonic War of 1812 as well as the Great Patriotic War (WWII), Borodino battlefield is also an idyllic destination far from the crowds, traffic and smog
Coverage includes: Sergiev Posad, Abramtsevo, Vladimir, Suzdal, Boro-dino.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.