Moscow - Arbat & Khamovniki (PDF Chapter)
This is the Arbat & Khamovniki chapter from Lonely Planet’s Moscow guide-book.
These two adjacent districts are an art-lover’s dream. The Arbat district is packed with world-class art museums and smaller artist-dedicated galleries, plus the elaborate Cathedral of Christ the Saviour. In Khamovniki, the Unesco-recognised Novodevichy Convent and Cemetery is a worthwhile half-day destination.
- peruse the collections of Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts’s three branches, especially the in-credible array of Impressionist and post-Impressionist art in the 19th and 20th Century Art Gallery
- soak up five centuries of artistry and history at Novodevichy Convent and pay respects to Russian cultural greats at the adjacent cemetery
- eat the Soviet-throwback way (dumplings at Cold War–era prices) at Varenichnaya No 1, after strolling and shopping on ul Arbat
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.