Mongolia - The Gobi (PDF Chapter)
This is the Gobi chapter from Lonely Planet's Mongolia guidebook.
The Gobi is a bleak place; vast, harsh and silent. But it is the profound emptiness and terrible isolation that draws adventurers to its fold. In a world of smartphones and social media, there are few places on the planet where it is still possible to fall completely off the radar like you can do in the Gobi.
- take one step forward and slide three steps back on the awesome sand dunes of Khongoryn Els
- go fossil hunting at Bayanzag, the beautiful 'flaming cliffs', rich in dinosaur bones and fossil eggs
- look out for ibexes as you trek through the ice-filled canyon of Yolyn Am, with vultures soaring above
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Dundgov, Mandalgov, Baga Gazryn Chuluu, Süm Khökh Burd, Erdenedalai, Ongiin Khiid, Ikh Gazryn Chuluu, Dornogov, Sainshand & around, Ikh Nartiin Chuluu, Zamyn-Üüd, Ömnögov, Dalanzadgad, Gurvan Saikhan National Park, Bayanzag, Bayankhongor, Bayankhongor City, Bayangovi, Amarbuyant Khiid, Ekhiin Gol, Gov-Altai, Altai, Great Gobi Strictly Protected Area and Eej Khairkhan Nature Reserve.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.