Mongolia - The Gobi (PDF Chapter)
This is the The Gobi chapter from Lonely Planet’s Mongolia guidebook.
The Gobi reveals itself in pockets of amazing scenery, bridged by vast stretches of desolation where smartphone signals die and silence saturates. No wonder it’s one of Mongolia’s top-draw regions, promising colossal sand dunes, dinosaur fossils, camel treks, and hospitable nomadic herders.
- take one step forward and slide three steps back on awesome sand dunes at Khongoryn Els
- go fossil hunting at the beautiful ‘flaming cliffs’ of Bayanzag, rich in dinosaur bones and fossil eggs
- scramble up rock formations and searching for argali (mountain sheep) at Ikh Nartiin Chuluu
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Dundgovi, Mandalgov, Baga Gazryn Chuluu Nature Reserve, Erdenedalai, Ongiin Khiid, Ikh Gazryn Chuluu, Dornogovi, Sainshand, Khamaryn Khi-id, Ikh Nartiin Chuluu, Zamyn-Üüd, Ömnögovi, Dalanzadgad, Gurvantes, Gurvan Saikhan Na-tional Park, Bayanzag, Bayankhongor, Bayankhongor City, Gov-Altai, Altai.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation